Dubuque County Attorney
Bad Check Restitution Program

Ralph R. Potter, County Attorney


Filing a Report

Why it Works


Acceptance Tips

Form Download

File Check(s) Online

Contact Us

Merchant Login


Filing a Report: Step by Step

  1. Make personal contact with the check writer; if you are unsuccessful, send a statutory certified notice via U.S. Certified Mail including return receipt. The check writer has 10 days to respond and remit payment. Sample Statutory Notice.

  2. If you do not hear from the check writer or receive payment, click on “form download” for a printable bad check crime report form or go to sign up to file a check(s) online or if your already have a login click here to file your check on line with the program.

  3. Fill out the crime report form, attach originals or legal copies including front and back of checks (you retain photocopies) and all supporting documents such as certified mail, return receipt or undelivered letter, copy of the "statutory certified notice," and mail to the address listed below:

Victim Services, Inc. Mail Processing
Dubuque County Attorney
Bad Check Restitution Program
P.O. Box 93145
Des Moines, IA 50393-3145

(postal address only)

If you do not receive restitution within 90 days, contact the Dubuque County Attorney's Bad Check Restitution Program at 1-888-440-1812.